Our Jr. Youth Group of 4th-7th grade church school at St. Gabriel’s is going to busy the rest of the school year with their twice-yearly Ecochallenge challenge. Last Sunday April 16th the group cleaned the playground as their first project, raking leaves, pulling weeds, picking up toys, removing trash, and doing small repairs. It was raining, but the group voted to go ahead with the planned project, saying, “Hey- we’re Oregon kids- a little rain won’t hurt us.” The playground looks great now! The Ecochallenge ends in April officially but will go on for us through June 4th. Below are the goals they chose:
8 Jr. Youth Group Ecochallenge Goals 2023 April 16- June 4th
Climate and Ecosystems:
CREATE & SHARE A LOVE LETTER, POEM, SONG OR PICTURE: May 21st
(1) We will express our love and gratitude for our planet by writing a love letter, poem, song or taking a picture. We will share in the Ecochallenge feed/St. Gabriel’s social media.
WATCH A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE OR NATURE: June 4th
(2) (3) We will watch 1 documentary about climate change and then go on a Ecochallenge field trip TBD.
Economy and Communities
MEND (UPCYCLE) CLOTHING: May 7th Create something new from old socks
(4) We will mend clothing for myself, family or friends.
Health and Equity
DONATE FOOD: April 23rd Make soup kits for food bank
(5) We will find out what food programs are in our area and donate food and/or other items that they request.
Education and Livelihood
MAKE CLEANING PRODUCTS: April 30th
(6) We will make a few homemade cleaning products.iCloud Photos (2)
HOST OR JOIN A CLEANUP EVENT: April 16th Playground clean up
(7) Within my community at home or work, we will organize or attend a local cleanup event.
Basic Needs and Security
PREPARE AND SERVE A VEGETARIAN MEAL May 14th
(8) Prepare and serve a vegetarian meal for after service coffee hour in honor of Mother’s Day for the congregation.